Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 1924-My Huckleberry Friend


In Somers, NY there is a sign in front of an old Victorian that reads, “Mancini Realty.” Every time I pass the the sign, which I do fairly often, I smile. I never actually met Henry Mancini, known fondly as Hank, but I certainly feel as though I did. Everyone who knew and worked with him seemed to adore him. 
Whenever Tony, spoke of Hank he genuinely lit up. (Tess would have been ‘Hank’ if she had been a boy, a name Tony was willing to concede to, despite his first choice, Elvis.)  What’s not to love about the genius behind Moon River, Peter Gunn, Pink Panther Theme, Days of Wine and Roses, and the song that my brother used to fondly refer to as my theme song, The Baby Elephant Walk?
Tony found himself traveling with Hank on many occasions, and apparently no matter where their travels took them as they were driving through the various towns and cities Hank would ask, “I wonder what it costs to own a house here?” Tony was fascinated by Hank’s obsession. He would often ponder, “Why would someone who was so successful, and could afford to live anywhere, care?” He usually answered his own question with a shrug, “He probably wanted to know there was an affordable back up plan-just in case, or maybe he was just imagining his life if it had gone in a different direction.” So we began playing that game, imagining what life would be like without the stress of a NY or LA price tag, which would always bring us back with a pathetic laugh to, “What in the hell would we do?” 
He had a few dreams; my favorite, the B&B on the Dingle Coast in Ireland, but that would have to wait until the ‘big one.’ You know the show that puts you over the top? Tony spent so much of his life waiting...forestalling happiness for that day. Life was always better in the future. Perhaps this is why the Spiderman saga is so potent? I have been waiting for this show to open to literally put his spirit to rest. 
A couple of months after his passing, I had a session with a San Fernando based Irish healer, given as a gift by one of my dearest girlfriends, and Tony’s 2nd wife, Debrah-more on this later. The healer lit candles, burned some incense, and I slipped away into a trance. Not really sure all that happened, but when I came to she was extremely animated, 
“Anne,” for complete accuracy please insert authentic Irish brogue for part of healer, 
“Tony doesn’t want to let go,” her eyes moving like gnat radar,
“He is hanging on and refusing to leave until he knows his children are taken care of.” 
Her voice dropped, “There is a very thick cord between you and he,” she inhaled a warriors breath, and bore her eyes into mine,
“But I summoned Saint Peter...who came with his sword...” she lifted her arms high above her head and swung them slo-mo, Samurai style,
“He has severed the cord between you.” She finally exhaled. 

Oh dream maker, you heart breaker, wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way.
Two drifters, off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end, comin' round the bend, my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.
It may be time for a trip back to the Valley. Like a planters wart, this cord seems to be lingering.

1 comment:

  1. Annie,

    If you should need a healer on the West Coast, you should talk to Christina. You can find her on Facebook - Christina Rideout.

    Enjoying your blog. With love, Pam

    ReplyDelete