Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 1922 or What Would Captain Kirk Do?

My sisters are obsessed with Sci-Fi and fantasy, always have been.  Back in the day, their giddiness as Star Trek night neared, was palpable-palpably irksome. I so did not get it, and yet would pretend to be as excited as they.  Imagine the initial confusion, but then the tremendous relief when, as a grown up, I realized that a very good portion of the world doesn't consider Star Trek a religion. 
They dragged me along to at least 3 different Star Trek conventions; they bought me t-shirts and pins that I could wear to show my Trekian Pride. I chose a bright yellow t-shirt with an iron-on of the Starship Enterprise; I felt it would complement my Dorothy Hamil hair cut,  and that the grandness of the Enterprise might distract from my 10 year old flabby stomach, which spilled over my fake Ditto jeans. Funny thing is, I actually did feel pretty cool in that shirt, pretty powerful.
When I mentioned to my older sister the other day that my daughter was totally in her tweendom,with the matching behaviors, she suggested that Tess simply needed to read more Sci-Fi. I countered that she had just devoured The Hunger Games series and was in the midst of a walk down Harry Potter lane, revisiting all of the movies, last night’s viewing: The Goblet of Fire. As I watched I realized that my sister was right, I sat there thinking, “That poor Harry just can’t catch a break.” Somehow Harry’s ongoing and disturbing challenges really made me feel better.
To this day my older sister doesn't confront one of life's challenges without citing how Captain Kirk or Spock or Bones would have handled it, albeit tongue in cheek, which is why I can still like her. (Full disclosure, I actually like her a lot.) I think she is a true hero. 
The new producers of Spiderman the musical named their company Heroic Productions. I wonder if they have considered, "What would Captain Kirk do?" 

1 comment: